For nearly 150 years, we’ve been dedicated to providing people worldwide with the best quality financial products and services. We’ve come a long way since the very first MetLife company was established in New York in 1868, offering life insurance solutions.
Here are a few highlights from our history:
- 1868 — Metropolitan Life Insurance Company is established.
- 1912 — In partnership with American Red Cross, we transform the corporate headquarters into an administrative relief and support center for Titanic survivors and their families.
- 1930 — We help thousands of farmers restore and buy back their foreclosed farms during Great Depression.
- 1931 — We provide financing for the construction of the Empire State Building and Rockefeller Center.
- 1989 — Our first operations outside of the U.S. are established in Korea and Taiwan.
- 1991 — We become the first insurer in North America to surpass $1 trillion of life insurance in force.
- 2000 — We become a publicly owned stock company with MetLife, Inc. listed on the New York Stock Exchange.
- 2007 — MetLife Europe d.a.c. opens for business.
- 2010 — MetLife, Inc. acquires Alico to become the world’s premier global life insurance company. MetLife Europe d.a.c. wins the Financial Adviser Company of the Year award.
- 2011 — MetLife Europe d.a.c. signs 10 year £100 million contract with Capita Group. MetLife Europe Services Limited takes over the 50th Floor of One Canada Square, Canary Wharf, London.
Today, MetLife and our subsidiaries and affiliates hold leading positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe and the Middle East. Around the world, we offer life, accident and health insurance, retirement and savings products through agents, third-party distributors such as banks and brokers, and direct marketing channels. For more information, visit www.metlife.com.