The MetLife companies are a leading innovator and a recognised leader in protection planning and retirement and savings solutions around the world. We have established a strong presence in the Americas, Europe and Asia Pacific through organic growth, acquisitions, joint ventures and other partnerships. We are strengthening our global brand MetLife by extending core products and competencies to markets around the world – an important driver of growth for the enterprise.
With over 140 years of success and experience, the MetLife companies include the largest life insurers in the United States, Chile, Argentina and Mexico1 and serve over 90 of the top one hundred FORTUNE 500® companies.
Around the world, the MetLife companies offer life, accident, health insurance, retirement and savings and reinsurance products through agents, third-party distributors, such as banks and brokers, and direct marketing channels. We work with families, corporations and governments to provide them with solutions that offer financial guarantees . We have the experience, global resources and vision to provide financial certainties for an uncertain world.
The first MetLife company was established in New York in 1868 offering life insurance solutions to the middle class. Over the years, the MetLife companies have made difference in the communities where they operate, and the organization’s social commitment and its commitment to the security of its policyholders have proven to be good business.
Here are few highlights in our 140 years of history:
- 1868 — Metropolitan Life Insurance Company is established
- 1912 — In partnership with American Red Cross, transforms the corporate headquarters into an administrative relief and support center for Titanic survivors and their families.
- 1930 — Helps thousands of farmers buy back their foreclosed farms and restores them to productivity during Great Depression
- 1931 — Provides financing for the construction of the Empire State Building and Rockefeller Center
- 1974 — Auto and home insurance are added to our product offerings
- 1989 — First operations outside of the U.S. are established in Korea and Taiwan.
- 1991 — Becomes the first insurer in North America to surpass $1 trillion of life insurance in force
- 1992 — Establishes the first Latin American operation
- 2000 — Becomes a publicly owned stock company with MetLife, Inc. listed on the New York Stock Exchange
- 2001 — Enters the banking sector with establishment of MetLife Bank. Responds to 9/11 by paying claims immediately, awarding grants and investing over $1 billion in publicly traded stocks.
- 2002 — Acquires Aseguradora Hidalgo, S.A., becoming the largest life insurer in Mexico.
- 2005 — Acquires Traveler’s Life & Annuity and substantially all of Citigroup’s international insurance business, strengthening our leadership in the U.S. and expanding its distribution capabilities worldwide.
- 2007 — MetLife Europe Limited opens for business.
- 2008 — MetLife Europe Limited launches its Retirement Portfolio.
- 2009 — MetLife Europe Limited launches two unit-linked guarantee bonds.
- 2010 — MetLife, Inc. acquires Alico to become the world’s premier global life insurance company. MetLife Europe Limited wins the Financial Adviser Company of the Year award.
- 2011 — MetLife Europe Limited signs 10 year £100 million contract with Capita Group. MetLife Europe Services Limited takes over the 50th Floor of One Canada Square, Canary Wharf.
- 2012 — MetLife Europe Limited launches its innovative range of Managed Wealth Portfolios. MetLife Europe Limited wins the Financial Adviser Company of the Year award for the second time.
The MetLife companies have been offering life insurance solutions to Argentinean consumers since 1994. Today, in addition to life insurance, the MetLife companies also offer disability products and annuities to individuals and companies through professional agents, banks and direct marketing in Argentina.
The MetLife companies have been offering life insurance solutions in Brazil since 1999. Today, we offer dental plans, individual and group life insurance and retirement plans, such as multi sponsored funds and open pension plans (PGBL and VGBL) through brokers, banks and other channels. We are present in 24 locations and have 12,000 registered and 6,000 active brokers, 15,500 corporate clients, about 5.7 million customers and have underwritten R$ 115 billion in life insurance.
Present in Chile since 2001, the MetLife companies offer group and individual life and health insurance products, as well as retirement savings and mortgage products. We are a recognized leader in the local market as the number one in life and annuity premiums as of June 2008, and distribute products through an agency force, bank partners, direct marketing and brokers.
The first MetLife company in Latin America was established in Mexico in 1992, offering life insurance and retirement savings products to groups and individuals in the private market. With the acquisition of Aseguradora Hidalgo, S.A. in June of 2002, the MetLife companies became a market leader in life insurance for government institutions in Mexico. Today we are the largest life insurer in Mexico based on sales as of June 2008, covering nearly 9.5 million customers and offering group and individual life insurance, medical expense insurance and retirement savings and investment products.
Tel: 1800 MetLife (638 5433)
Established in 1868, MetLife is today the largest life insurer in the United States based on life insurance in force. The MetLife companies offer life insurance, annuities, auto and home insurance, retail banking and other financial services to individuals, as well as group insurance and retirement & savings products and services to corporations and other institutions.
Tel: 61300 555 625
The MetLife companies provide life, credit, disability and accident and health insurance solutions to groups and individuals through superannuation funds and direct marketing channels in Australia.
Sino-US MetLife Insurance Company Limited
Tel: 8610 8518 0966
Fax: 8610 8518 9809
Sino-US MetLife Insurance Company Limited is a joint venture with Capital Airport Holding Company. Established in 2003, the company offers life and accident and health insurance solutions to individuals in Beijing, Chongqing, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Shenyang and Dalian through a career agency, bank partners and direct marketing channels.
United MetLife Insurance Company Limited
Tel: 8621 6860 9688
Fax: 8621 6887 6836
United MetLife Insurance Company Limited was incorporated as a joint venture with Shanghai Alliance Investment Limited in 2005. The company offers life and accidental insurance and savings products to individuals in Shanghai, Nanjing, Hangzhou, Ningbo and Wuxi through a career agency distribution system, bank partners and direct marketing channels.
The MetLife companies have been offering life insurance solutions in Hong Kong since 1995. Today, we offer life, investment-linked insurance plan, and accident and health insurance products through bank partners and direct marketing channels.
MetLife India Insurance Company Limited (MetLife) is an affiliate of MetLife, Inc. and was incorporated as a joint venture between MetLife International Holdings, Inc., The Jammu and Kashmir Bank, M. Pallonji and Co. Private Limited and other private investors. MetLife is one of the fastest growing life insurance companies in the country. It serves its customers by offering a range of innovative products to individuals and group customers at more than 700 locations through its bank partners and company-owned offices. MetLife has more than 55,000 Financial Advisors, who help customers achieve peace of mind across the length and breadth of the country.
Mitsui Sumitomo MetLife Insurance Company Limited
Tel: 813 3279 9000
Fax: 813 3279 8171
Mitsui Sumitomo MetLife Insurance Company, Limited was incorporated as a joint venture with Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Company, Limited (MSI) in 2005. MSI is a member of both the Mitsui Group and Sumitomo Group and is the second largest non-life insurer in Japan. Mitsui Sumitomo MetLife Insurance Company, Limited is number two in the variable annuity market in Japan and offers individual annuities through an independent distribution network.
MetLife Direct Company Limited
Tel: 813 3212 7670
Fax: 813 3212 7680
The MetLife companies also offer direct marketing services in Japan including product development, product positioning, campaign planning, implementation and analysis involving insurance products.
The MetLife companies established presence in Korea in 1989 and today we offer life, accident and health insurance and retirement saving products to individuals and companies in Korea. We were the first insurer to provide variable products in the Korean market and continue to offer innovative solutions through highly trained professional agency force and bank partners.
First established in 1989, the MetLife companies have been offering individual and group life, accident and health insurance products as well as annuities and investment-linked insurance solutions in Taiwan. We are today the number one in life insurance sales via telemarketing since April 2007 and also distribute via bank partners, brokerage networks and other direct marketing channels.
Tel: 322 789 4200
Fax: 322 789 4201
In Belgium, the MetLife companies offer individual and group life insurance solutions through bank distribution and direct marketing.
For risk and protection solutions:
Tel: 0870 909 9458
Fax: 0870 010 7307
For retirement and savings solutions:
Tel: 0845 370 6040
Fax: 0845 370 6041
For pension risk transfer solutions:
Tel: 0207 557 4900
The MetLife companies offer creditor, personal accident, critical illness insurance products, and retirement and long-term savings solutions to consumers in the United Kingdom and other countries in the European Union, as well as pension risk transfer solutions for trustees and employers.